Wednesday 9 May 2012

A visit to Humber Nurseries: the lithops section


The title of this post is kinda misleading, since there really wasn't a lithops section so much as a tray of sad, over-watered 'thops. I didn't find any gems that I wanted to risk my money on this year, although looking at the picture I kinda wish I had picked up the middle one on the far right row.

Maybe next year I will get lucky and arrive when the tray is new and not picked-over. I don't know why I have this urge to hunt for adult lithops when I've managed to amass a huge seed collection in the past year - far more than I can possibly grow with in my current setup. Must be the thrill of the hunt and the desire to rescue the poor things....but only if they look worth saving.

There was also this bigger pot, with a multi-headed clump:


Not bad, all things considered, but still overfed and over-watered. At $20 I just couldn't bring myself to go for it with so many other plants to tempt me.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, that's sad. :( Poor little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Yes, that nice fat one in the middle right row does look good, and I would have purchased it as well. The one on the bottom left row looks like its seen better days though. Lol. Buying Lithops can be very addictive because they’re such cool and beautiful plants, as I am experiencing atm. That big clump in the pot looks good also, do you know what it is because I have an unidentified injured plant that looks a lot like it and would like to know what it is before it dies. Space is an important factor to consider for plant lovers like myself, and I’ve learnt after acquiring quite a few plants that it is wise to be selective and only choose plants that I really want and ones that are healthy. Cool blog! Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not 100% sure on what the big clump is off the top of my head - maybe L. marmorata? I'll check some of my resources and will get back to you!

      Delete